[Harp-L] 1) Best starting key? 2) Which keys to buy first? 3) Learning order?

Since Bb is a more common blues key than B, I use my Eb harp a lot more than I do my E when playing in 2d position. Eb also gives you F minor in 3d position and G minor in 5th position, so I get quite a bit more mileage out of my Eb harp than i do my E. I can't function without an Eb harp. I use my Ab harp quite a bit for C minor in 5th position,

I agree that E and Ab would be the next harps to get after the 7 i suggested. High G can also come in handy for cut. In my experience, the harp i've used least over the years is is B.

Playing with jazz bands or horns one can wind up playing Db and F# harps more often than in other situations.

JP