Re: [Harp-L] Recording Software Opinions

Hi Gary -

Not likely there will actually be a lot of consensus on this topic. There are a lot of good applications out there that will all do the job. For the not-so-cheap stuff, before making a $$ commitment, see if you can download a demo first and get some hands-on time with it. I find that software apps, especially music and audio software apps, have distinct personalities and you may or may not get along with the personality of the software depending on your personal taste. Sorry if that sounds funny, but there is some truth to it. For instance, while some musicians absolutely love Logic, others strongly dislike it -- it is polarizing software ;-).

Personally, for the last bunch of years I've been using Cubase and it has served me extremely well for both audio and midi work. It is not cheap, but it is great stuff. I upgraded to Cubase 4 a while back and it is very elegant and full featured. It now comes with a great sounding convolution reverb and lots of other fantastic plug-ins. It is not necessarily simple to use right out of the box, but it comes with a well written manual and if you put some time into learning the software, it can really pay off. The UI is very well thought out and you can get around very quickly and intuitively, so you can concentrate on the music instead of the software. The routing possibilities are endless. I could go on....

Just my 2 cents...

- Slim.

Gary Calahan wrote:
Hello,

Just out of curiosity, what there a consensus of most commonly used, user
friendly recording software?  I have Magix (Samplitude) Music Maker 14 that
I don't find to be very easy to use.  What are most of you using?  Band in a
Box??  Mixcraft??  I understand Music Maker 15 that just came out is
powerful, more user friendly with the plug ins etc.

Gary C