[Harp-L] super loud bands...bad for business

Hi all,

 Most of the time i'm gigging in the small venues, affectionately known as the knot hole circuit. While these are more often than not fun gigs, the set up for live music leaves much to be desired. We are usually in the front of the club, right at the end of the bar, or on the other side of a small room pointing directly at the bar. Volume control is essential if you want to gig there again. If the customers and the bar keeps have to scream, yell, and use sign language just to order a beer and onion rings, you're way too loud. The club owner is making his money off those beers and food. If you're so loud that you're hampering that vital transaction, then you you might be costing the owner money. If he or she is not making money, then they can't afford to pay for extras such as live music. The satellite fed jukebox is a very attractive option, never takes a break, volume controlled by remote, any style of music on demand, and not all that expensive. Usually, later in the evening more volume is acceptable, but you still have to keep it cool. I guess my point is that volume not appropriate for the situation is harmful in more ways than one. Not only can it be detrimental to the quality of the music, but can also be detrimental to the amount of profit made for a club owner. And while most club owners are fans of, and supporters of live music, they are even bigger fans and supporters of making a profit.