Re: [Harp-L] recommended harps

Dear Tom
Like yourself I am an amateur who has been playing since the early 70s, but I barely played harp between about 1987 and 2004, because I was learning the guitar and how to sequence and sample. When I came back I was stunned by the variety of harmonics available, so over the years I have bought a variety pack of the new models to find out what I like and what the new stuff can do.

The valved Suzuki MR350vs are interesting. An XB40 is currently the one I carry about with me. The low tunings are interesting - have a low tuning Seydel in A that plays a mean blues growl. Lee Oskars are great easy to play sound good uncomplicated harps. None of them are 'best' though. "Best" comes from the player. I have also revived a Sonny Boy Williamson style 12 hole Marine Band that I have had since about 1977. Folk said on the list that it doesn't make the player sound like him. They are wrong! (Well in my heart anyway). I don't think you can get the timbre of his later playing on anything else old or new.

But after all that, if I had money to spend on harmonicas and lived in the USA I would try one of Buddha's custom jobs which are reasonably priced. The idea of playing more keys on fewer harmonicas appeals to me and his workmanship is highly recommended by many on this list.