Re: [Harp-L] recommended harps

Well, first of all, it should not be costing you $50 for a ProMaster harp. I pay $40 for the valved version which is more expensive than the unvalved version.

I play the ProMaster harp because it is the only pre-valved harp I can buy; otherwise, I have to make my lazy ass do the valving, which results in messy fingers and a messy harp (in my case.)

I play the valved ProMaster precisely because I bought a XB-40 and hated it (size.) I also was unsatisfied with the arrangement of the scale for overblowing. I am a fairly simple-minded person and get confused easily. The valved ProMaster allows me to play a chromatic instrument without little slides or a difficult (for me) to deal with overblow layout.

Of course, if playing chromatic is not important to you or if you are willing to learn the overblow layout, you have lots more choices, but I have to say that I am generally satisfied with the ProMaster instruments.

-LM