RE: [Harp-L] recommended harps

Since you've already 'fessed up to a curiosity about the Steve Baker
Specials, I can observe that...
About four years ago, I found out that SBS harps existed.  I wondered if I'd
get one, hate it, feel foolish...  But finally, I took the plunge and
ordered my first SBS in c.

It worked for me right off the bat.  I over-reacted to liking it so much...
And schemed to have 14-hole monsters in every key of the aural rainbow.
(I should probably add that all my experience before then had been with the
Hohner Marine Band or the Hohner Blues harps.)
After I played the SBS for a while... And ordered a couple more..., I hit a
few situations where I missed the "succinct" feeling of the ten-hole
diatonics, so I started bringing them back out again.
I'm (hopefully) more balanced now about a given harp for a given situation,
but I'd say try what ever you're the most curious about and see if one such
harp works for you.

 Another foray into the unknown which wasn't as immediately rewarding for me
was the Hohner XB-40.
The description sounded like just what I'd want, but I've never cared for
the feel of that harp, so it does sit in my harp drawer most of the time,
doubtless beaming jealousy at the others... But at least I know now...
Good luck!
Brad Trainham