Re: [Harp-L] Super Loud Bands

Hearing loss having a continuum with some people being much more susceptible to it than others it is still inevitable. Freddy Fender in his waning moments with his Twin Reverb dimed. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me or the guys playing in his band. It's pretty much the same as staring into the sun.

Don't get me wrong I'm not telling anyone what to do.

Stephen Schneider has the idea (I don't know if it originates with him) that electric basses are the culprit. They're louder and they push up the frequency range into guitar territory plus they can be played with much more attack on a note. Watching bands at the folk festival recently I watched it happen. The band I started watching had a mic'd upright bass. Reasonable volume, I had my earplugs out. Next band comes up same sound system same sound person similar instrumentation but with an electric bass. Instantly louder and I grabbed for the plugs immediately.

I'm with Larry, I don't get it. I have a terrible time playing music in a loud stage environment and I've never liked loud anything. Watch the kids by the railroad tracks watching the trains. Notice how they stick their fingers in their ears. They're on to something I think.

Pink Floyd did do a really good job with sound but it was still too loud for me. fjm