Re: [Harp-L] Harmonicas available today

Tony thank your for your open and honest view.
If you have the chance and still have that article I would enjoy reading it.

As some one new to the music sound, I have found it very hard to decide
on what brand/ model I should spend my hard cash on.
Since I am learning I don't want cheap. And I was advised to stay away from custom for now. ( getting the clean notes, and learning the bending, no over blows )
But that still leaves that question on what harp to buy. Trust me I want a custom harp.
In music stores, you can touch and play with many instruments.  Most of the sales guys can give you some pointers.
But when it comes to a harmonicas your S.O.L.  Because of health reasons they will let you use an blow box and the very limited supply they have.... and the sales person has no idea about the harps....
One guy wanted to sell me a set of Piedmont Blues (in all 12 keys) for about $114.00..and ot came with a case. I don't know anything about That brand except from what I've been reading lately on this post.

I also cant understand the difference of strong opinion on different brands and model in these brands.
One brand (model) out of the box cant be a piece of Crap to one group and great to another.

I almost wish there was a Consumer Reports on Harps.
So how about it all members on Harp L, how about giving it a chance and be clean honest factual accounts on Brands and models even customizing......

I'm sure the guys that do the customizing can tell what Brands and Models are good... You can even change your name so the innocent wont be harmed.....

The other day I open up my many harps to clean and I wrote down each Brand / model, and wrote how many screw they had.  Now I'm thinking the more screws a reed plate had the better.  That's as far as I can go.
I'm sure just like anything else the material and how its put together show the quality of the harp...

The tuning is another thing that is out of my league. I watch some You Tube that was mention on this site.  And opening Cleaning, I got. embrossing, plucking,filing, I understand, tuning I'm lost once again S.O.L for a beginner when we buy harps if their out of tune.  But I'm sure this is something that can be learned thru VIDS.

So, finally I'm asking Harp L the members to help us un fortunate beginners out there who are reading this site but are afraid to ask questions and get confused.

1) what Brands and Model do you like and why ?
2) What to look for in a Brand and Model ?
3) what keys should I get, in what order ?
4) When ordering from an on line site, what kind of warranty should we look for?
5) Combs: wood,plastic,marble,gold,silver,paper,leather,bone,skin, how do they change the sound or do they ?
6) Reeds: Brass,steel,aluminum,plastic, paper, how does the material change the sound ?
7) Screws on reeds: the more the better and if so why?
8) Reed cover: Nails that look like screws  making one  a fool trying to unscrew them, screws I have seen 2 or
9) Cover Plate: Material will this make a difference ?

You can help out by answering or not , and adding to the list or not... I do plead with you that if you are incline to make fun or put down this list leave it alone and add to the bottom.

 I'm sure I will get good answers and I know I will get rude answers bring it on I'm use to some of you.

abner (Blueyes, still asking, still confused)