Re: [Harp-L] Harp Quality

I have played Special 20s mostly for a long time. I would have to say that right now, the quality of that particular harp right out of the box, is by far the best I have seen. For me at least, for my style of playing, a stock SP20 is pretty darned good. A little tweaking and it's very good.
Golden Melody, which I don't play, is also good in stock condition. I haven't bought a Marine Band recently except for one D and it was not great... but D harps are never great out of the box.
Mass-produced instruments should have a general overall quality, but we shouldn't expect them to perform like customs.
Learn to work on them. It isn't hard and it can turn a Chevy into a Cadillac.
Steve Webb in Minnesota