Re: [Harp-L] why custom harps

Abner,

How about this: a custom harp is kindof like a luxury car. Sure you can get around just fine in your '82 Toyota pickup. It's got four wheels and gets you where you're going. But that '09 Lexus sedan is going to run smoother, feel more comfortable, handle better, and probably look better to boot. Whether or not the sedan gets you around town any better than the pickup is largely a matter of personal preference. You may find that you get better gas mileage in the sedan and that it drives a bit easier. But they will both get your from point to point.

We can't all buy that luxury sedan out of the gate. Most of us have to start with the pickup and learn to drive it first. Later on, when we can afford it and feel our skills and/or needs require it, we can switch to the sedan. Some people might say that if you want to be a really good driver, than the luxury sedan will help improve your driving immediately, will ultimately last longer, and pay off over the long term. Really, you won't know until you try it for yourself.

I hope this makes sense to you and is not just a poor, rambling analogy. The upshot is, when you feel like you are ready for it, go for the custom. "Ready for it" could mean after you get your chops up a bit more, or have the $150 saved from a couple of gigs (or three or four), or get that great birthday present from an incredibly understanding significant other.

There are some incredibly talented customizers out there who are selling their hard work for little more than a song (no pun intended). Many of them haunt this list and other harp boards. When you decide you want one, look around at the options. Find other people who have one or more of them, ask them what they think. Many of these artisans will be happy to talk to you about what your needs might be and how they can help you out.

Seth

PS - I don't own any custom harps yet, I'm too broke and too green. :)

Abner Galdos wrote:
So in your humble opinion the cost factor should not be a consideration in buying a custom harp?
in other words, as a newbie "we tend to buy the cart before the horse" and spend money on regular harps in many keys.
I wish one such as my self can hear the difference between the two.
Someone playing each harp same melody.

abner

---- Original Message ----- From: Buddha To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 10:33 AM
Subject: re: [Harp-L] why custom harps

Because they...

look better
feel better
play better
last longer
are louder
have better tone
help you be a better player faster.

No out of the box harp compares to one that is set up by a good customizer.

Even MS blues harps can be made into totally bada** harps.

http://www.harmonicapros.com/music-tools/combs-new.JPG http://www.harmonicapros.com/music-tools/combs6.JPG http://www.harmonicapros.com/music-tools/red.JPG

----- Original Message ----- From: Abner Galdos To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 10:14 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] why custom harps

I have one simple question , and follow up questions:

( just regular 10 hole diatonic)

Why customize a harp?

Follow up: (only for 10 hole diatonic)

Is one harp (brand) better to customize then an other?

Is there a skill lever one should be at before thinking about customizing a harp?

Are you specializing when you customize a harp (over blow,bends, I'm sure there's more but .....)

What is the cost of customizing a harp?

Who or what company is best at customizing harps?

I know I'm not even close to customizing, it's that I read a lot about it and curiosity got to me...

abner (still a newbie, still learning, still on my wonderful journey)

-- The beatings will continue until morale has improved.