Re: [Harp-L] Re:Was American Chestnut combs, now stainless steel(

On Jun 14, 2009, at 5:08 PM, David Payne wrote:

I've been thinking about this in the back of my mind, using more than one piece of wood and arranging the grains to make a more stable comb.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

My Hering chromos are made that way. While appearing to be plywood, they have an upper and lower section of soft wood separated by a very thin sliver of hard wood. Oh, and the same type sliver on the outside tops and bottoms of the entire sandwich. So, in actuality, there are 5 plies and can technically BE considered plywood. I much prefer them to my plastic combed Herings, as they are closer to my Hohners (in 'lack' of vibration). As I play them, they are neutral in my lips and all I 'feel' is the tone. The plastics seem to have a 'buzzy' affect on all the pins and wires that hold my face together.

smokey-joe