	* To: "Seth Galitzer" <sethgali@xxxxxxxxx>,	"geoff atkins" <geoffatkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
	* Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re:Was American Chestnut combs,	now stainless steel(Vern Smith, Dave Payne)
	* From: "Vern Smith" <jevern@xxxxxxx>
	* Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:13:46 -0700
	* Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
 A few years ago I led a group who cooperated in making over
a hundred SS Hohner 270 chromatic combs.  We encountered and
solved some technical challenges.  Now there are over a
hundred happy harpers tootling away on their SS 270s.  The
CNC machine had trouble tapping the 1-72 screw holes and we
eventually did it by drilling out to #2 and tapping by hand.
It turned out to be more trouble and cost than we had
anticipated but most participants in the project seem happy
with the result.

You could not make a chromatic comb with a laser because the
laser can't penetrate to a controlled depth.  I would be
interested in knowing how accurately the laser could control
the edges of the chambers.  Did the laser cut the front,
back and sides?

There are good reasons for making and using a stainless
steel comb.  One is just the challenge of overcoming the
engineering problems.  Others include heft, long life,
imperviousness to moisture & corrosion, precise & stable
dimensions, strong steel screw threads and good looks.
However, it won't sound perceptibly different from the same
set of reedplates on a comb of any other type of metal,
plastic, or wood.

I have a still-open, long-standing $1000 wager that no one
can hear differences in sound arising from differences in
comb material in otherwise identical harmonicas under
controlled conditions.  Wanna bet?  ;o)

Vern