From: Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>
To: IcemanLE@xxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 6:28 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Jazz Jams at SPAH 2009 - and not just jazz

On Jun 3, 2009, at 4:46 PM, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:?

>?

> oops, my mistake. I was referring to Golden Age, you were referring > to Diamond Age. Sorry.?
?

Good try Larry. In actuality, BOTH ages had their little sidetracks. Fortunately, the current state of affairs has been a correction of both eras in various ways. While it is impossible to make everything run smoothly, the current state of affairs is smoother that it had been heretofore. Naturally, just as you cannot please all of the people all of the time, the current state is better than pleasing SOME of the people all of the time OR most of the people SOME of the time.?
?

I see the recent trend pleases MOST of the people MOST of the time. Now, it goes without saying that if something doesn't please ME, that is of no big consequence as I am not MOST of the people. At least most of the time I'm not. (giggle)?

>?

> You may be talking about 99. Unfortunately I wasn't there. That's the?

> one that included Toots. I DO have an audio of the event.?

> I'm referring to 97, 98, and 99.?
?

I was there in 97 & 98, and you're CORRECT. They were good jams. So, I hope you will understand that I am only referring to the ones that I didn't think were so great. Columbus 2002 (for example) was fine. As was Dallas 2003.?

?

> (koff), uh, interpretation may be in the mind of the reader. We > wanted SPAH to be a different experience than Buckeye. SPAH was > headed into a more professional direction than Buckeye, which was > more user friendly. Nothing wrong with that.?
?

Ok, I like the 'user friendly' part. And yes, you're right. My first Buckeye (91) was WAY different from my first spah (91). Buckeye was 'Country Club Casual' whereas my first spah was 'Full Blown Formal'..... by comparison.?
?

> To say ""Hey, if you're a beginner, go to Buckeye, we're not > interested, but if you're advanced, come to spah" sounds to my ears > like a bit of "spin doctoring" harkening back to the ol' Tate/> Iceman exchanges.?
?

I remember the exchanges. You BOTH had your opinions. I respected both of them.?
?

>  In all fairness, I used to be a lot more of an a**hole back then. > The problem with having an "a**holectamy" is that people tend to > hold onto the old image longer than is necessary. (I dug my own > pit. I accept the responsibility and am not angered by responses > like this - more amused than anything else).?
?

Larry, Larry, Larry, I ALWAYS respect what you have to say. We go all the way back to 1991. Well, actually, you wouldn't have noticed me. I was Mr. cellophane. I went unnoticed. You, on the other hand, were noticeable. As a matter of fact, It wasn't until 2002 that spah even knew I was alive. It took 11 years. No problem.?
?

?

> See, another example of spin doctoring, throwing a negative curve > on a posting that never stated that those that play at Buckeye are > beginners.?
?

I'm just tickling you......giggle?

?

> Still harboring feelings of resentment, perhaps??
?

No, not as long as I have friends like Randy Singer, Michael Peloquin & Jason Ricci. These guys are the future, those others are the past.?
?

Singer, Peloquin & Ricci are different. They're not so full of themselves that they can't give a person a break. It's people like these that keep me coming back.?
?

Interesting? story. One year there was a matinee at a festival. Because there were so many diatonic acts, they put on a chromatic matinee for the conventioneers. The idea was to take the better players and have them do a tune. 'I' wasn't invited?. Neither was Will Galison. Apparently Galison is too good...and I am not good enough. No problem. So, go check my videos and tell me that I'm not good enough.?

>?

> Once again, my mistake. Sorry. Thought you were talking pre Tate > conventions.?
?

Some of the conventions in ALL eras were so so. Others were FANTASTIC. No need to say sorry. ALL have been worth going to, BUT, realize that I (like you) have to travel well over 1200 miles to get to ANY convention, so if I go to one, I kinda like to make it worth my while.?

>?

> OK, Fearless Joe. You're the Man! :>)?
?

I'm just saying.                       It's all water over the dam. I just like to make sure that the little people are represented.?

Jo-Jo regazzo al facia cane?