[Harp-L] Subject: Re: more on neophyte Jazz Jams at SPAH 2009

oooooooh....Nooooooooo...... ....Mr. Bill....<G>

Actually, you're ranging way further afield than I'd originally thought of,
 and it's now sounding incredibly more complicated than I'd  envisioned.

I suppose I'm talking about a combination of first a jam - and then  a
> Q&A or seminar afterwards, but very loose and relaxed and not  set
> up as a
> 'classroom' but more working with us within  the jam perhaps even
> right at
> the mics?  Real,  practical, hands-on instruction?

Smokey sez:  "I had to stop  & make dinner but all the while giving this
some 'Jack
Handy'  approach. What you suggest presents a couple problems.
1.... Spah would have  to find a space to do this.
2.... It would have to be away from the hustle  & bustle."

Eliz:  I was kind of hoping for some afternoon - or evening-time but
sandwichedinbetweenotherthings - not talking a great deal of time, here.
Especially not for the first go round.  I wouldn't even mind the 'bar' area  since
it isn't heavily populated late afternoon, early evenings (usually).   Not
at all the way it is for the full-on serious jazz jam. And then, I was
thinking more of it as being tucked away into an area which 'might' attract some
passing traffic (enough to give a semblance of the real 'audience' thing,
but  not be half as intimidating?). Of course it'll depend on how the Hotel
is set  up. Those who've seen it could probably contribute their thoughts
here...

Smokey: "3.... Back-up would add additional  cost/planning/consideration(s)"

Eliz: Really?  Heck..if I could get my keyboard there without my  having to
bring it on the plane, I'd do the back up myself, only I'm simply  not a
good enough pianist.  I'm sure 'someone' would volunteer to sit  in..there are
so many multi-instrumentalists among us...isn't JR &NB going  to be there
for the duration (for a change)?  I'm REALLY excited if they  all stay for
the whole convention...Maybe we could get Todd and Ed to play some  bass and
drums. Either way I'll bring my own IPod and player...make sure to set  it up
with some 'real' jazz music - the Hal Leonard tracks, and maybe a few
surprises for other people.

Smokey: "4.... You would need someone otherwise uninvolved in the  other
activities at spah as this would be time-centric.
5.... Why?  Because this could get pretty involved"

Eliz: See above - I didn't mean to imply it should take more than an hour
or two at most, especially for the trial run.

Smokey: "I think what would  have to happen is a rendition of a Al/Judy
Smith
or a Joe Filisko  TEACH IN.  I see a couple problems."

Eliz:   oh.....no.....not what I meant at all, because yes,  either of
those scenarios would be problematic. Not my intent. Besides...daytime  (to me,
anyway) in one of those coldly sterile SPAH rooms just doesn't lend  itself
to the type of jam I'm thinking of. I LOVE the real jazz jams...am
attempting to get as close as possible but scaled down with less  pressure for those
of us who haven't yet had the experience. That simple.  The idea of having
'pro players' in attendance to help out doesn't mean it needs  to be a major
'thing'....only IF anyone wants to be there to play as well (show  us how
it's done, but not 'take over' or dominate the playing.)  I probably  didn't
explain it well the first time...but teaching by showing is always far  more
effective for me than a 'classroom' setting.

Smokey: "1.... People who are going to attempt to play ANY music need a
basis
with which to start."

Eliz:  Didn't I kind of imply that I was talking about those of us  already
interested in (or already playing 'our' jazz), but simply not at your
level? We already have a 'basis'. I can play. I can play songs like Georgia, A
Song for You, Unforgettable..any one of a hundred-plus songs I  consider
'jazz' or 'jazzy', 'jazz-oriented'.  What I can't do, or don't yet  know how to
do...is leave the melody and go soaring off on tangents the way all  you
pro jazz players do every single time I've heard any of you play at a jazz
jam...to where the song is completely unrecognizable and I've no idea how you
plan to get back to the melody, leaving me dumbfounded when you do it.

 I'm sure there's an art to it.  I'm also sure there's a jazz jam  'system'
which is different from the blues jams' etiquette (I've attended many  of
those and they are run quite differently).  I don't know how to play  into a
mic properly, nor when to lay out and let the keyboardist or guitarist  take
it...these are the things I'd be very much interested in learning...or at
the very least helped to become more comfortable with, along with other
people in my general 'comfort and playing level'.

Smokey: "2.... The people already doing jazz have years and years  to draw
from."

Eliz: kind of my point? :)

Smokey: "3.... Someone would have to 'set-UP' a couple easy pieces, and
have
the class work on these."

Eliz: I actually hadn't thought of that being done. I thought we'd (the
players) choose our own music - each play our own choice of song...and then
whomever wanted to join in - do so (just as it works in a blues jam?)...and
then at the end - you critique us, as to how it all went. I didn't want it
to be  a 'Seminar/teaching experience' from the beginning.   We ARE talking
about a 'jam' here.

Smokey: " Everyone would learn the head of the tune.
4.... THEN the  moderator (or his/her helper(s) would have to show the
class what  could be done with turning the chords.
5.... Then it's a mater of helping the  players understand where to go
with the tune."

Eliz: Perhaps.  But which tune? The players should get to decide which  of
the songs the majority felt most comfortable playing..and - at the end of
the  jam. This is supposed to be a fun 'jam', not an entire teach-in (is the
point).

Smokey: "Conclusion: It's keeps coming back to the players  needing to have

some starting point AND some background to build  on."

Eliz: Some of us have a 'starting point'...it's the knowing where to go
from there that's the tricky part. Capisce?

Smokey: "Me? I think it's a tough job. Right now the players that DO  play
already have other experience as a basis. So THAT part is  already
covered."

Eliz: Not really. I'd put money on there being loads of other people like
me who play, and play fairly decently, but simply have no experience at
playing 'out' either or with Live backing.  At home I can jam along with my
backing tracks or whatever music I happen to be listening to. It's another
thing  altogether to try to do it live with other musicians whom I have no
access to in the normal course of events. There's a world of space (and
improvement) in there.

Smokey: "Me? I would LOVE to see it happen.   jo-jo"

Eliz: well, that's good.

...I think.<G>

Somehow it now seems far more complicated than I'd originally imagined,
though.

Elizabeth

**************We found the real âHotel Californiaâ and the âSeinfeldâ
cntnew00000007)