[Harp-L] Re: Subject: Re: more on neophyte Jazz Jams at SPAH 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 12:26 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

oooooooh....Nooooooooo...... ....Mr. Bill....<G>

Actually, you're ranging way further afield than I'd originally thought of, and it's now sounding incredibly more complicated than I'd envisioned.

Ok, I was trying to come up with a way to do it. Maybe I went too far off the edge of the world, eh?

Smokey sez: "I had to stop & make dinner but all the while giving this some 'Jack
Handy' approach. What you suggest presents a couple problems.
1.... Spah would have to find a space to do this.
2.... It would have to be away from the hustle & bustle."

Eliz: I was kind of hoping for some afternoon - or evening-time but sandwichedinbetweenotherthings - not talking a great deal of time, here. Especially not for the first go round. I wouldn't even mind the 'bar' area since it isn't heavily populated late afternoon, early evenings (usually).

The bar might work. That's where we went over Michael Peloquin's arrangement of Li'l Darlin.

Not at all the way it is for the full-on serious jazz jam. And then, I was thinking more of it as being tucked away into an area which 'might' attract some passing traffic (enough to give a semblance of the real 'audience' thing, but not be half as intimidating?). Of course it'll depend on how the Hotel is set up.

I see, and hotel set-up IS always a consideration. Some aren't really 'convention convenient'. They're set up more for individual conferences in individual locales.

Those who've seen it could probably contribute their thoughts here...

Smokey: "3.... Back-up would add additional cost/planning/ consideration(s)"

Eliz: Really? Heck..if I could get my keyboard there without my having to bring it on the plane, I'd do the back up myself, only I'm simply not a good enough pianist. I'm sure 'someone' would volunteer to sit in..there are so many multi-instrumentalists among us...isn't JR &NB going to be there for the duration (for a change)? I'm REALLY excited if they all stay for the whole convention...Maybe we could get Todd and Ed to play some bass and drums. Either way I'll bring my own IPod and player...make sure to set it up with some 'real' jazz music - the Hal Leonard tracks, and maybe a few surprises for other people.

Like Phil with his Bose? That might work.

Smokey: "4.... You would need someone otherwise uninvolved in the other
activities at spah as this would be time-centric.
5.... Why? Because this could get pretty involved"

Eliz: See above - I didn't mean to imply it should take more than an hour or two at most, especially for the trial run.

Oh? No, I think it would take a coupe hours..at least. First you would need a 'set-up' tune (maybe 2). Then, after everyone learns the head, we progress to the tricky parts.

Smokey: "I think what would have to happen is a rendition of a Al/ Judy Smith
or a Joe Filisko TEACH IN. I see a couple problems."

Eliz: oh.....no.....not what I meant at all, because yes, either of those scenarios would be problematic. Not my intent. Besides...daytime (to me, anyway) in one of those coldly sterile SPAH rooms just doesn't lend itself to the type of jam I'm thinking of. I LOVE the real jazz jams...am attempting to get as close as possible but scaled down with less pressure for those of us who haven't yet had the experience. That simple. The idea of having 'pro players' in attendance to help out doesn't mean it needs to be a major 'thing'....only IF anyone wants to be there to play as well (show us how it's done, but not 'take over' or dominate the playing.) I probably didn't explain it well the first time...but teaching by showing is always far more effective for me than a 'classroom' setting.

Smokey: "1.... People who are going to attempt to play ANY music need a basis
with which to start."

Eliz: Didn't I kind of imply that I was talking about those of us already interested in (or already playing 'our' jazz), but simply not at your level? We already have a 'basis'. I can play. I can play songs like Georgia, A Song for You, Unforgettable..any one of a hundred-plus songs I consider 'jazz' or 'jazzy', 'jazz- oriented'. What I can't do, or don't yet know how to do...is leave the melody and go soaring off on tangents the way all you pro jazz players do every single time I've heard any of you play at a jazz jam...to where the song is completely unrecognizable and I've no idea how you plan to get back to the melody, leaving me dumbfounded when you do it.

We didn't start that way. We all (maybe?) started more simply. It was years and years of playing that got us to the point where we can work off the chords, go out into space, and then make it back without getting lost. We would have to keep YOUR scenario closer to the actual tunes. At least until Capt. Kirk says we can go where no woman/ man has gone before.

I'm sure there's an art to it.

Not really. It's just a matter of time. You spend lots of time on something and it gets easier.....like bowling.

I'm also sure there's a jazz jam 'system' which is different from the blues jams' etiquette (I've attended many of those and they are run quite differently). I don't know how to play into a mic properly, nor when to lay out and let the keyboardist or guitarist take it...these are the things I'd be very much interested in learning...or at the very least helped to become more comfortable with, along with other people in my general 'comfort and playing level'.

THIS part is the easy part.

Smokey: "2.... The people already doing jazz have years and years to draw from."

Eliz: kind of my point? :)

Smokey: "3.... Someone would have to 'set-UP' a couple easy pieces, and have
the class work on these."

Eliz: I actually hadn't thought of that being done. I thought we'd (the players) choose our own music - each play our own choice of song...and then whomever wanted to join in - do so (just as it works in a blues jam?)...and then at the end - you critique us, as to how it all went. I didn't want it to be a 'Seminar/teaching experience' from the beginning. We ARE talking about a 'jam' here.

Ok, that would also make it easier.

Eliz: Some of us have a 'starting point'...it's the knowing where to go from there that's the tricky part. Capisce?

Gotcha

Eliz: Not really. I'd put money on there being loads of other people like me who play, and play fairly decently, but simply have no experience at playing 'out' either or with Live backing. At home I can jam along with my backing tracks or whatever music I happen to be listening to. It's another thing altogether to try to do it live with other musicians whom I have no access to in the normal course of events. There's a world of space (and improvement) in there.

Smokey: "Me? I would LOVE to see it happen. jo-jo"

Eliz: well, that's good.

...I think.<G>

I would love to give it a shot but I can't guarantee I would always be around.

Somehow it now seems far more complicated than I'd originally imagined, though.

Maybe not.....Now that you simplified it a bit. I'll try to flow chart it over the next couple days. :) smo-joe

Elizabeth

We found the real 'Hotel California' and the 'Seinfeld' diner. What will you find? Explore WhereItsAt.com.