Re: [Harp-L] RE: Harp keys cheat sheet - further uses of the Cycle of 5ths

"I was on stage with two guitarist and one of them kept showing me the chords. Now I don't now music and I don't now how to play the guitar. So I had no idea what chord he was showing me other then the fact that I might have been playing wrong"

You can also use the Cycle of Fifths to help you remember your common chord sequences. For example on a standard I, IV, V blues progression, imagine that the key of the tune is your 1st position, then your IV chord will be in 12th position and your V chord will be in 2nd. So for a blues in C you have C7 for your I chord, F7 for your IV chord and G7 for the V chord.

It also works for the ii, V, I/i, progressions that you often find in jazz and more sophisticated blues. Here again if you imagine, the key as 1st postion, the ii chord will be in 3rd position, the V chord in 2nd and the I/i chord in 1st. So in C major that gives you Dm7, G7 and Cmaj7 or in C minor typically Dm7b5, G7b9 and CmMaj7.

Hope this is useful

Bill