Re: Subject: [Harp-L] New Era of SPAH Conventions

"Message: 9 Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:56:27 -0700 (PDT) From: MANFRED WEWERS <mwewers@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [Harp-L] New Era of SPAH Conventions To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

The beauty of the harmonica is that it is the "everyman" of instruments.
If I wish to derive pleasure from it, I can just play it. I don't need a
band, a club or a convention-just me and my harmonica. Some people go to
the conventions to be stars; some, to learn from others; some, just to
listen and have a good time; and some, to meet other players.

Some like to take over. Frankly, they're getting under my skin. Same people all the time. Pushy pushy people. They need to give it a break. Not every thing is all about THEM.

Some harp players are loners-it's part of the mystique of the instrument.
But if you want to be with like-minded people, the harmonica club is the
place to be. I've asked before in a previous posting why so many of you out
there are not members of SPAH or other clubs. Didn't get much of a
response. Do you know how difficult it is just to form a club

Of the 4 clubs that I have attended, they all have had the same thing in common. Someone old starts a club. They are old because they are usually retired and either have the time OR want to 'live' before they die. They become the figure head. The duty Honcho, the big Kahuna. People join the club and are at varying degrees of proficiency. The Kahuna has them doing what the Kahuna decides. This scares away the more proficient players. Better players don't want to play those ancient tunes. So, the club hardly ever has any better players. The better players are loners to begin with. They are HARD to attract. Besides, what's in it for THEM. Were any of you ever a 'junior' member of a club and had to sit there for 45 minutes (in pain) listening to a bunch of old crap (played crappily) before it was your turn to play? Then there's the "let's play at the senior citizen's home" crowd. NO thank you. I don't need any more negative vibes.

smo-joe

, have people
attend regularly and attract new members, never mind hosting a convention? If
you haven't tried, give it a whirl. I wish you great success and maybe one
day I can attend a SPAH convention in your home city.

This is an unabashed plug for SPAH.

Manfred Wewers

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol? redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx? sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd