Subject: [Harp-L] New Era of SPAH Conventions

Good! post, Manfred. We only met at last SPAH and it was great to finally
meet you in person...the individual behind so many of the posts I agreed
with.

I find myself liking just about everything you have to say onlist  which is
why our conversation at SPAH went so swimmingly and it was just  plain nice
to get to meet you in person. :)

 I only wish there was a harmonica club reasonably suited for my style  of
playing fairly easily accessible from my abode. I did answer one  ad  - but
Long Island is indeed 'long' ;) and getting to and  from 'anywhere'  here is
a daunting process. If the mileage isn't  terrible, the traffic jams will
kill you.

Then, after a conversation with the guy heading up that one club, it's
clear they play only the music he decides ...very old-timey (a phrase I'm
borrowing from Smokey) and expect the membership to follow his very  rigid rules
as far as their couple of shows are concerned...and when I expressed  my
misgivings, was pretty much chastized. They work off music books and won't
hear of improv-ing or playing to anything other than the leader's
instructions.  No jazz, no blues, no anything other than music from the 1920's to
1940's. 'Pop'  music from the 1940's on was already thought of as too new-fangled.
;)

He's pretty much 'the boss'. (I should add I'd met and heard this man play
and sing (not an open-mic - he set up, plugged in his mic, sang and played
loudly over a Marv Munroe conducted group play at a separate convention
without  so much as a by-your-leave). When I recognized his voice on the phone,
my heart  sank.

Now this isn't my idea of a 'harmonica club'. One day I just may have  to
begin one with lots of freedom for input from the members....or get together
with Warren Bee (if he ever has any time left from his SPAH duties)...since
we  live in the same general area. We have similar ideas about music. I
honestly  don't feel people learn when harmonica music is overly regimented.
Sure,  there should be room for 'some' teaching...but not when the entire club
is  devoted to nothing but one method, or one person's ideas alone. I get
the idea  some small harmonica clubs devolve into dictatorships. Brrrr
...definitely not  my cup of tea.  But something out in our area would probably
remain  small...definitely not a contender.

Belonging to SPAH is most assuredly the way for me to fill my  need to
connect with other harmonica players (I even joined the Buckeye 'club'  despite
not living close to Ohio, purely because it helped them continue to  put on
their convention)....to at least learn as much as I can and catch up on  all
the years I've missed. The Filisko teach-ins are alone worth their weight
in  gold. So much has happened in 'harmonica' since I was a child, it's
astonishing  to find out all these new things, new players....although I confess
I'm probably  truly at my personal happiest playing along, eyes closed -
with my favourite  artists' music alone at home, unremarked and unnoticed. :)

Elizabeth

"Message: 9