Re: [Harp-L] Re: JASON RICCI CONCERT -

On Jul 10, 2009, at 12:23 PM, icemanle@xxxxxxx wrote:

SMOJOSOJE sez:

I take it (by your own wording) that if you are not enamored with Jason, and if you state as such, you are brave. And if you defend? Then what? .... evarb?

Don't try to read too deeply between the words and come to conclusions based on your filters -

I will be the first to admit that I don't have complete control of the Queen's English, but I read the post and the meaning was obvious. Now I don't want you to think I'm some radical one way or t'other. I read the posts and DON'T assume. I welcome any and all opinions, and I have never ever even tried to bend anyone to my way of thinking. It's only my opinion after all. As far as posting the article, I don't have a problem with it either. I'm not too thin skinned.

I think Jason is great. Love his commitment, passion, and the road he braved to get where he is today (personally and professionally). His full frontal attack style of original music doesn't do it for me. I don't like it.

I respect that. And as I said, it's a matter of taste. I had left home 3 months before I was even 18 and as such have gone it alone these last 50 years. When you have relied on yourself for such a long time, you develop priorities. Food, rent, junk car, insurance. You get the idea. So you don't have much disposable income. When you DO buy something, it has to be par value for what you are spending, as spending would be a hardship.

Had Jason been around at the time, I could have reached in my pocket, because (for me..remember only my opinion), the kid bats 1000. I have a STRICT 67 percentile rule. If I buy an album, it HAS to have 8 out of 12 GOOD sides. And I would prefer 5 that I REALLY like. (Even Stevie can't accomplish this all the time.) Jason can, Randy Singer can.

What I applauded was the brave posters (I believe they may have even been lurkers until speaking their mind - but, I'd have to check on that before claiming it as gospel) who found the courage to state that they weren't a fan of "gushing" posts and perhaps Jason's music didn't appeal to them.

I did the same thing on the Butter thread. Was 'I' brave? There are a lot of died in the wool fanatic Butter fans. But he never reached the 67 percentile with me, so I never went back for more. Toots can do it, Rice Miller can, Little Walter (batting 333 didn't).

You may notice that some artists have such a fanatical fan base that these fans will aggressively attack anyone that doesn't share their fervor.

T E L L me about it. And I don't understand it. I also don't understand people's incessant attacking some artists either. (like the famous J. Popper threads). Why can't people just live and let live? I (for instance), don't care for the Chicago sound. And I REALLY don't care for the California/Chicago sound. I happen to prefer the Delta sound. I don't see much on that subject. The Chicago & California sounds dominate. Do I make a fuss? No, it''s all you're DIMES.

Many years ago, I walked into a record store in New Or and what caught my eye was a purple album with a picture of a black 11? year old girl in 'buffies'. She had a sad look on her face and a tear running down her cheek. The album was delta blues and had various artists on the 12 or so sides. Over time I bought several more in the same series. Over time I got to SEE some of these people too. THAT's what hooked me.

So, do I go pushing my tastes on others? Hell no. Every spah I have gone to over the last 19 years has had O N E person who attracted my attention. I'm hard to reach.

Sometimes this is even to the embarrassment of said artist. I've seen it on the "L" many times. I dare say that it keeps a few of the more timid lurkers from expressing their own opinions - pity.

Well, I sure as he!! am not one of the people who intimidates. But I can understand where you're coming from. Some people need punched in the face really hard by a guy holding a roll of quarters lololol

The internet is the great playing field leveler where anyone can join in. Unfortunately, some presumptuous experts and some fanatical fans make it miserable for "commoners" to join in by attacking their opinions or insisting that, for validity, the game must be played according to someone's rules - pity.

I understand where you're coming from, but sometimes it's a two way street too. One man's pita is another man's tortilla.

smo-joe