Re: [Harp-L] RE: Paul Butterfield(answering to Micholas....)

First, please snip off old stuff! The message I received was obscenely long, with loads of expired garbage attached.

I listened to Butterfield when I was 23 and looking for another instrument, since trombones weren't much in demand for rock bands. I also listened a lot to John Sebastian Jr., and Mel Lyman (from the Jim Kweskin Jug Band.)

They were all, to my mind, the best to which I could aspire. But Butterfield's sound was as clean as any I had ever heard. For what he played, he was a super technician and I still revere him in that way. And he was almost surely the most important influence on my playing style.

I found much of what he played a sheer delight to me; yet, I do have to admit that while I admired his technical skill, I sometimes did not like what he played. It wasn't that he was "busy". It simply had to do with the musicality and logic of a phrase.

Some of what one might find unmusical could be excused as valid blues variations, but some of it was just plain wrong to my thinking. And sometimes, I lost the logical thread of his solos.

BTW, I never found anything in the work of my other two idols, Sebastian and Lyman, that I found musically objectionable.

-LM

Anthony Smith wrote:
I am not a big fan of Butterfield's stuff. To me, he seemed like a really
busy player and much didn't sound correct. It seemed like he would use blow
notes in place of bent draws to allow for fast play and to simplfy breathing
patterns even if it wasn't right. In fact, when I started playing the
instrument, I would turn the station when he came on to hopefully avoid
getting sucked in to playing what to my ear, was wrong. I surely don't want
to offened anyone who felt his playing and again this is just my take on it.