[Harp-L] fwd: covers (was: Original Hohner Pro Harp)

Pat Missin gave me the ok to forward this to the list on Pro Harp covers and their effect on tone vis-a-vis weight and finish, so here it is:

"Unlike the MS versions, the original PH covers were not simply S20 covers with a black finish. The HM PH had aluminium alloy covers and there were at least a couple of different versions of them - one was matt black on both sides, another had a gloss grey finish on the underside. If you are going to bring in mass and surface finishes as significant factors, than you also need to consider the materials themselves, although surprisingly, the HM PH covers are actually fractionally heavier than the HM S20 covers, as they are substantially thicker.

Not that any of this really makes any huge difference anyway, or at
least it didn't when I did a bunch of spectrum analysis of the same
harp with different covers. Notice that the shiny covers give a bright
sound and the black covers give a dark sound - blues players should
obviously play this harp for a bluesy sound:

http://www.harmonyonline.com/images/mbt/1510BL_lg.jpg

Oh - and although Greblon is used on the MS ProHarp, I am by no means
certain that it was used on the HM ProHarp. In fact, a quick visual
comparison suggests to me that the finishes are not the same at all.
Maybe Steve Baker would know for sure. Either way, you are welcome to
quote me on the above."

The part about "shiny covers give a bright sound and the block covers give a dark sound" is in reference to this post:

http://harp-l.org/pipermail/harp-l/2009-January/msg01116.html

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'