[Harp-L] Original Hohner Pro Harp

Ryan,

The original, old style, non-MS Hohner Pro Harp was the same design as a Special 20 but with Greblon coated covers. I used to play these exclusively. Greblon is a coating used for kitchen utensils. Like paint, it dampens the resonance of the cover plates which produces a slightly darker, slightly fatter, slightly smoother tone than shiny or uncoated/unpainted covers.

Like the Special 20, the original Pro Harps had a compromise tuning closer to Just Intonation than the tuning used on the MS models. Hohner stopped making the original Po harp when the MS models came out, but music stores had NOS for several years afterward. But i haven't seen any original Pro Harps in a store for at least 8 or 9 years.

I never did like the MS Pro Harp as well and became increasing dissatisfied with them which eventually led to my switching to Suzuki Hammonds (which have painted covers). Love my Hammonds, Some players say painted overs don't move as smoothly across their lips, but that was never a problem for me.

While on the subject of cover plate materials, it is pertinent to note that chrome plated shiny covers, which are HEAVIER than unpainted shiny covers will make the tone of a harp louder brighter and brasher (for example, Suzuki Promasters and Hohner MS Meisterklasse). So, the distinction is not just between painted and unpainted covers. Unpainted PLATED covers also have a different and distinctive effect on tone.

Not everyone may agree with me about this, but i am reasonably confident about what i an saying. i have a long standing strong preference for harps with painted covers. i like the darker tone.

JP