[Harp-L] re: Looking for Traditional Irish Music

hi.

Thanks for the replies.  Here's a quick "et al." reply.

I appreciate that music is organic and all.  But as a newcomer to a specific type of musical interest, I'm trying to find some samples of the kind of music I wish to learn (to begin with... the organic growth can happen later ((grin))

I have instructionals -- Glen Weiser Irish & Fiddle Tunes for Harmonica.  I've also come across the Brendan Power Diatonic Irish Instruction. Great stuff.

But I want something that's not instructional, and not like Youtube clips.  I'm trying to find stuff I can play just to appreciate AND play along with as I learn it, AND learn from it.

I've at least been learning what I DONT like through checking some suggestions and references,  and Vamping, Heavy Chording, Chrome, Tremolo etc.. is not my current cup of tea.  And I can appreciate that will probably change, adapt etc... as I get some experience and experimentation behind me.

And I DONT like it sounding bluesy or too modern.

Some artist(s) mentioned in here I have tried. I have even tried to BUY a list CD, but can't seem to get a sale (oddly enough), so I'm trying in here.

I truly love, and currently only wish to learn, the Irish Harmonica that is purely 10 hole diatonic (probably going to use Paddy as my main tuning).

And, I love the airy, droning type play. Stuff that is mostly whistled as opposed to chorded (though I would like to learn "slight" chordal accompaniment eventually.)

Slip jigs, Air, drone, clear notes.
I think that is adventurous enough for the time being
I'm hoping to find some recorded or downloadable music/musicians that fit the bill.

Anyway,  hope that makes sense.
I'm not looking to make a music fit me, rather, I just want to find samples of players playing the kind of stuff I want to start with.

Simple enough, right?  I'm hoping anyway (grin)

Thanks,
Jim

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!