Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Amplifiers

IMHO, if you don't buy into the tubes are best claims then there are now many different amps/ amp simuators out there that basically you buy one you can afford and like, then twiddle the knobs until you get a sound you want to keep. I used to have a Zoom one, but it ceased to work, now a pod line 6 - imitating Fraiser Speirs. Then you can plug that into pretty much anything with speakers and it will sound good. Even sounds reasonable through one of those wee pocket sized Marshall stacks (as long as you don't want much volume).

But amp mythology is pretty potent!! Anyone out there got an amp whose volume goes up to 11?

While on the subject of playing amplified, how do people get around the problem that because a harp is played very close to your ears, you can always hear the acoustic harp sound as well as the amplified sound, while the audience mostly hears the amplified sound? This applies even at pretty high volume. I have often played things that sounded great, but listening back to the amplified signal it sounded crass because the acoustic signal I also heard vanishes.

Richard