To: "Bill" <bill.eborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: 4th position & a bit about 10th

Bill wrote:
Cheers Larry
The main thing about 10th is you need to overblow the root (4ob) and the 5th (6ob), if you can get it In a Sentimental Mood can be a killer harp tune, great for generating what I call the 'pin-drop moments', you know when everything goes quiet, somebody talks, somebody else says shush! and you get a great big warm feeling inside. You could swap harps for the bridge I guess but I could never get the hang of juggling myself.
Well, I use valves, so I can't overblow at all. I use 2 blow bend as the tonic - very stable note. No problem from there.

I totally agree with the Iceman's comment
"It may help to consider thinking not so much that the tonic IS a bend, but rather that it is a NOTE created through a bend technique."

In my view, we should always think notes - or intervals - and not bends or holes. It's also really good to train your ear to recognise and be able to play specific intervals, there are ear training programmes about, I use Earmaster (although not enough I must confess) and there's an ear training facility in Band in a Box. The Aebersold Dominant 7th Work Out is a very good practice tool for this sort of thing too, I find.
I agree totally. I think intervals. I have practiced various arpeggios to be able to move around without thinking of holes and bends - I can just hear it.

-LM