Re: [Harp-L] Re: Embossing v Burnishing

On Jan 2, 2009, at 3:21 PM, Vern Smith wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe and Cass Leone" <leone@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Aongus MacCana" <amaccana@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 11:24 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Embossing v Burnishing

On Jan 2, 2009, at 1:08 PM, Aongus MacCana wrote:

Hey I see from Stephen Schneider's mail that there is more to this embossing
lark than I thought.

In the act of embossing, you are forcing material UP by putting pressure on the surrounding material. This causes a, for lack of a better phrase than I can come up with, a 'volcano' or a 'rift' effect whereas the material is forced up at the expense of the surrounding material. If one were embossing a reed plate, they would be making the reed plate thinner while at the same time making a thicker area/ portion/structure/design, (add your own semantics).

Two tectonic plates working against each other are an example of embossing. Mountains are an example of embossing.

I disagree.

Apparently you didn't understand my post? :( That makes me sad. :( I am agreeing with Aongus that swaging is correct.

I agree with Aongus that "swaging" is a better and more descriptive term than "embossing".

Tectonic plates are brittle. They fracture, buckle, and overlap when forced together. Mountains are the buckled or overlapping fragments.

Like most engineers, you're getting too technical. I was giving a ' simplistic overview'

The brass reedplate is ductile, not brittle. In embossing / swaging, after you exceed the strength in compression of the brass, it flows as a plastic to the sides and away from the tool. In our case, it flows into the reed slot.

That's what I'm saying.

Vern