[Harp-L] Embossing v Burnishing

Hey I see from Stephen Schneider's mail that there is more to this embossing
lark than I thought.
In my simple mind I thought the object of the exercise was simply to spread
the material of the reed plate to reduce the "daylight" between reed and
reed plate. Stephen's reference to forming a ridge suggests that there is
more to the process than that.
I have to admit that swaging like "drawing under the hammer" is a technique
beloved of blacksmiths, but don't lets knock the blacksmiths. In my happy
days as a post grad apprentice in the national railway works the blacksmiths
used to refer to  the tool room machinists and other lesser orders as mere
"blacksmith's finishers"
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana