Re: [Harp-L] "A-Train"

On Feb 22, 2009, at 3:03 AM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

The back-and-forth leaps in A-train are dead easy and play very smoothly if you use tongue-switching.

The leaps are fine with tongue-switching. It's the combination of leaps, blow/draw reversal and slide usage all together which make this so difficult. Perhaps we have different definitions of "play very smoothly" as well, since I've not heard anyone get close to what I'd consider smooth with this piece yet. The notes are hittable, but that alone doesn't make it musical. At least not at the speeds Ellington did it. Even at a slower pace it is very hard to get it to swing properly.

Not everything lies well or is really suitable to the harmonica, chromatic, diatonic or other.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'