Re: [Harp-L] Re: Scary Fast Playing

Most harmonica players I've heard don't effectively bridge the gap  between
scaryfast and everythingelse.
It's an either/or.

Scaryfast is most effective when used within a building a solo framework -
building a solo is a very musical skill that takes the listener on a journey,
like a walk in the woods.

You leave your house (a familiar place) and begin an adventure. Out the  door
at a leisurely pace, down the street, perhaps picking up walking speed  until
you are comfortable, and then into the woods. Once in the woods, you can
pick a familiar trail or try for something new. The new trail twists and turns,
perhaps opening up into a field, where you are so inspired that  you jog a
bit, even breaking into a run (if you are feeling joyous).

Coming to the end of the field, you may decide to slow down a bit rather
than crashing willy nilly through the bushes and trees - scaring the beejesus
out of all the woodland creatures - eventually heading home through familiar
territory. You eventually arrive safely, having had a varied and  memorable
experience during your trip.

What I've heard harmonica players do is - Front door of the house crashes
open and harmonica player flies out running at full speed, mowing down the mail
man (letters flying in the air) which doesn't even phase the harmonica player
as  off he goes. Since he has spent a lot of time building up his  stamina,
he keeps up the tempo into the woods, sticking to very familiar paths  in which
all the stones and branch placements are memorized so he can zip  through and
around them without looking or slowing down, out across the field,  back to
the street and back home moving at a blur, door slamming behind him  signaling
the end of the adventure.

Impressive in the fact that the stop watch shows how fast the trip was, but
ask him to remember what he encountered on the trip that was new and
unique....what did he see that was new and inspiring.....which new flowers did  he
stop to smell?.....what unusual birds or animals did he see on this
trip?...which new paths did he explore?.....what can he share with others rather  than
showing them the stop watch and bragging on how the speed was  increased?

I'm more inspired when given a journey that opens up my imagination. I'm
less inspired when the speed of the tour guide is all I remember.

The Iceman

In a message dated 2/9/2009 1:29:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,