[Harp-L] Subject:Montreal Monthly harmonica Event/Harmonicaspace/ (JRoss' 'no subject')

Well, that wasn't all I wrote, Jonathan.  And I really did have a  'subject
line' for my post...despite your now labeling it as 'no  subject'. What's that
about?

I mentioned that I'd 'chatted' with some Canadian people there so John  might
be interested in letting THEM know about his upcoming harmonica  meeting in
Montreal.

As a matter of fact he did post it there and thanked me. Since my post was
specific to him and Quebec, I fail to see why you're raising any issues at
all. I wasn't posting it for anyone else to sign up.

So if the format of the new site makes you sad, please feel perfectly  free
not to join us there.

Perhaps it's that you misunderstand the concept of what  constitutes the
'live chat' I'd mentioned?  In order to chat on  any good online site one must
necessarily join up. That's for the security  and privacy of those people who
are involved in the conversation...and I  certainly wouldn't feel comfortable if
just anyone could join in that chat  without first having been vetted by the
site owners. In the case of  harmonicaspace.com I trust Brady Mills implicitly
to ensure the security of the  site as far as that is possible today.

I'm afraid those primarily harmonica related conversations aren't 'saved'
for your or anyone's perusal later...otherwise why would we do it?  The  idea is
precisely so there is a modicum of privacy for the people conversing,  and no
worries about being moderated, so they're free to express themselves
comfortably. So far, as Christelle has pointed out, it's been  wonderful.

As you've specified, you already have harp-l's archives to peruse, so why
would it be necessary to have archives anywhere else open to the public?

Christelle put it very well when she wrote:

"I can't beleive that I've been able to talk directly with the Live
chat room, to guys like Jason, Todd, Ben Bouman (
_http://www.beta-harps.com/_ (http://www.beta-harps.com/) ) and the new  awarded Brad Harrison
(_http://www.harrisonharmonicas.com/_ (http://www.harrisonharmonicas.com/) ),  and many
many more passionate harp players from 15 years old to
more  than 60 years old are sharing their love and what they understood
of  the harp playing. In additon being able to have on video people
like  Joe Spiers talking about customizing harmonicas is simply
priceless."

Priceless, indeed.  It's a terrific concept and one long anticipated  and
overdue, judging by the flood of harmonica playing members the site is
attracting.  Perhaps those of us enjoying the on-line conversing are more  focused on
being 'in the musical moment' with our peers and less on having our  writing
saved for posterity?

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't hurt any single  harmonica online site at
all if its members belong to other lists. All of it is  knowledge gained and
potentially shared with other players. My time spent there  has already
resulted in informing several new younger players (who had  discovered Jason
brilliant playing via YouTube) all about SPAH and Harp-l   since they were curious as
to how we all knew each other. That  was also implicit in my post to John.

Many of us here also belong to Slidemeister and don't consider that to  be
remotely conflicting.  Slidemeister's archives are available to be  perused yet
you also found fault recently with my suggestion of someone posing  their
chromatic related query there. Frankly, I'm still awaiting  the flood  of
dozen responses within a day...and then ongoing discussion thereafter, so  is the
lack of 'open archives' really your complaint?

Relax. The world's a big place. Room for all...and for many harmonica  sites
and lists.

Elizabeth

Message: 5