From: mfugazzi67 <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:06:45 PM
Subject: Fwd: [Harp-L] Amp overkill

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Greg Heumann <greg@...> wrote:

Having opened last week for Rod Piazza, and then seeing Mark
Hummel's
harmonica blowout show on Thursday... got to see and hear a variety
of
amp setups. Piazza used his trademark Harp King PLUS another unknown
amp on top of it (big enough to house 2 10's, though). Hummell used
not one but TWO Meteors. They sounded ... well, big. And loud. But
Charlie Musselwhite brought his Cruncher to the blowout gig. Like
the
other amps, it was mic'd - and line-out'd into the PA. It had all
the
tone in the world. Sounded just great - in my opiknion better than
the
other amps. It clear, loud, crisp and crunchy - with plenty of low
end. In a room that size the PA is always used to help with on-stage
amplification, so the listening level in the house was the same. SO -

do we really need huge back breaking amps on stage? Or is that more
about showmanship and ego?

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net