Re: [Harp-L] Butter TV spot

On Dec 19, 2009, at 10:03 PM, THOMAS FIACCO wrote:

Joe-

Were you in the room with us at the GSHC festival for the blues jam?

Yes Tom, I was there.

There were as many different styles as there were players-no two people played the same

way.

You betcha, that's what I love about harp.

Chris Bauer was in there with Buzz Krantz,myself,Jay Gaunt,Paul Dane,Mike Easton-

You bet, I was in my glory. I started playing at the beginning, but a. my harps were in my room and all I had with me was an SJ tuned C. NON so hot for what we were going to play. b. I was as sick as 3 dogs all week, and when I went back to my room, I had an accident.
When I finally crawled back to the lobby, I got grabbed for the jazz jam.

one playing chromatic,Jay using overblows,I was using a LLF and playing some third position.

Yes, I loved what you were doing.

If your not into blues,that's fine-me -I've lived it. Lost friends to drugs and alchohol-a lot of friends-

I like blues, but it's not really my music. When we were talking about crossing genres the other day, I was going to allow as how I was listening to several videos of 'Der Ziguenderweisen' as done by numerous players and how it was being discussed on another list. It turned out that the 4 Orientals were all super technically proficient, BUT it was the Austrian and Belgian GIRL who were best. And the conclusion was (in the case of the wonderful Oriental players: "It wasn't THEIR music". Yes, they were excellent but they played like 'automatons' and the feeling just wasn't there. The girls had what it takes...feeling wise.

This is the way I see music in general. A player can be a virtual Heifitz or a Perelman, but if they don't reach me, they don't get the nod. Insofar as this has always been my mantra and I can find wonderful talent..even in people I don't like, I would make an excellent judge. Unlike the Miss America contest, I wouldn't arrive with any pre-conceived notions NOR opinions. I am totally inert in that respect.

lost myself for a while there,too.

See, there was a time when I had a privileged life. But I was a kid and I myself never had any money and went on my own before I was even 18. Things were tough. The only reason 'I' never got into trouble is because I have an addictive type personality and would have gotten hooked. I would be dead today. So, I never got involved in anything because........I didn't have the guts. I could never afford alcohol or drugs, so would have had to steal. I wouldn't make a good criminal. All 10 of my fingers have a different print type. That's the veritable kiss of death. lololol

I owe my sobriety,and basically my life to people like Rod Piazza,Kim Wilson,Dennis

Gruenling,Mark Hummel,James Harman,Sugar Ray Norcia and especially James Cotton.

And this is wonderful. (I especially like Dennis :) The other fellows I'm not familiar with, but all are great players.

I have had the fortune to speak with,have dinner and in James Cotton's case,play his harp-during one of his shows,he handed me his mic and harp,the highlight of my musical career.

I'll bet. In MY case, I have had several opportunities like that. Manhattan Transfer, Ernest Tubb, Mister Rogers, and most recently Randy Singer, Jason Ricci, Mike Peloquin, Charley McCoy.

So you see-I'm not upset-I am defending the people-including Butterfield-who made me the man I am today.

I'm all FOR it. I didn't follow Butter too closely. I had a wife & child and was too busy getting driven crazy lololol

Elizabeth and I both like to defend people (who deserve it). We are sometimes taken the wrong way. But we make dedicated friends. :)

Gieuseppi di la fumare