[Harp-L] Re: Butter TV spot

The reason Cotton or some other great black musician wasn't on the show was that it wasn't about
showcasing the musician. It was about stumping the panel by making them think is it the black guy or one of the white guys that's
the blues musician.

Butter was a white guy playing blues in 1965. The age and social background of the panel members was raised on blacks playing blues.
All the musicians coming out of Chicago blues scene were black. Butter was an oddity.

Now if they had a white guy and 2 black guys on and one of them was a polka player....
you can see where that is going. It's about stumping the chump.:)

btw, I fell in love with Butter's style but I also listened Cotton, Wells, Terry and anyone else I thought had chops.
37 years later I can play a broad spectrum of blues and rock because I learned a little from all of them.
Butter taught me more then anything to think outside the box when I played and to constantly try to improve my solos rather then
play them canned.

I recently found out some history about Butter from a friend of mine who was part of the Chicago music scene in the 50's and 60's
. He is the one who turned Albert Grossman onto Butter.
I turned Tom Ellis onto my friend. I'll save the story for Tom's book on Butter.
My buddy knew Butter, Cotton, and LW on a first name basis and knew Butter in his teens.
It'll be a great read for any Butter fan.

Mike