[Harp-L] Re: Roland Microcube

Garry Hodgson wrote:
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Some  posts recently about Roland Cube amps. I have heard some of the more <common ones used by guitarists, but I'm wondering about the Micro Cube or <maybe the Bass Microcube?  Anyone tried these with harp?  I almost bought a <MicroCube on EBay awhile back, but changed my mind at the last minute. I <already have amps I don't use enough, but one can never have too many toys.
<
<i played through one at a music store.  i was surprised at that the volume
<and sound that came out of it.  but it wasn't what i was looking for at the
<time.
<
<i was looking for a toy, as well.  a small, inexpensive amp i could use for
<light amplification playing in an acoustic duo.  considered the roland
<cube 15, but didn't love the sound, and had lots of feedback issues on
<many of the settings (even with my fireball).  ended up with a peavey
<vyper 15, a nice little modeling amp with lots of knobs and switches
<and blinkenlights and all.  sounds good, gets respectably loud, and
<doesn't destroy my back every time i carry it out to the car, unlike my
<big amp.

I used to own a Roland Microcube, which sounded great with guitar, but was a B+ at best with harp, though certainly better than some amps I've tried.  Haven't tried the Peavey Vyper 15.  Wouldn't be surprised if it sounded good, though Peavey had a lot of issues with the software when the first Vypers were released, or so their forums seem to indicate.  What settings are you using on the Vyper 15, in terms of amp model, speaker model, FX, etc.?

I still own the Peavey Transformer 112 that I bought after I heard the killer sounds Peter Ruth was getting out of his on the Harmonica and Ukelele Project CD.  I'm not using it much at the moment--too happy with the Digitech RPs--but I expect at some point to get back into it.

My favorite small modeling amp at the moment is the Vox DA5.  I bought it (and sold the Microcube) after I used it for a party gig recently.  It retails new for $129--I got mine off eBay for $109, shipping included--and it's plenty loud and proud for practice sessions and small jams. In fact, in terms of its basic sound quality, and taking its small size into account, it's a very good harp amp that represents excellent value for money, a MUCH better amp for harp than the Roland Microcube.

I recently posted a couple of clips from that party gig, and you can check Harp-l archives for the URL.   Haven't tried the bigger Voxes, though given the performance of the DA5 they're probably worth a try.

I've been using very simple setups for a while now on gigs--one amp or RP, with a line out to the PA, plus a mic--but that's changing.  For the band I'm working up now, I'm using two RPs (with an ABY pedal to split or join them) and a looper, along with a strumstick (3-string Appalachian folk instrument) running through its own RP, and a synth for various noises both recognizable and extreme, with a mixer to manage all the ins and outs.  I've also set up my Morley ABC pedal "backwards", so I can use it to switch between my Fireball V and Astatic JT30VC mics.  Takes 15 minutes to set up instead of 5, and involves a lot more wires and power supplies, but the sounds are huge and infinitely varied.  And the setup is still very portable.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter