Re: [Harp-L] REED REPLACEMENT

On Dec 6, 2009, at 10:43 AM, captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

Joe wrote:

I have also used Hering reeds in Hohners.... snip..... (if) the diatonic reed will not be the same length ..snip..
.. This can be adjusted. As a general rule, Hohner reeds are wider than Hering slots. This can be adjusted
either at the reed or the slot.

It's been a long time since I've tried it but iirc, Hering reeds aren't as long as Hohners.

This is true, as a general rule Hering reeds of the same pitch would be a little shorter than Hohner reeds. But this is for diatonics. With chromos, the is usually no difference. Where there WILL be a difference is when you have the double Cs. One of the Cs (the lower numbered one...like #4), will be one length and the second reed..like #5 will be a little shorter.

I will lengthen a slot but I won't shorten one. You can shorten a slot with liquid steel, JB weld, or some of the other epoxies. I never did it. What 'I' usually do is take a reed that IS long enough..even it the pitch is LOWER. Then I merely tune the reed up to where I need it. Sometimes I choose a reed that is TOO long, and that usually means the reed is lower pitched in the FIRST place. My reed the other day had to be taken down 3 or 4 semi tones.

I've heard this can
be overcome but I never understood how. Dave Payne once posted a supposedly simple method, but i
couldn't understand his instructions. What is the best way to make a short reed fit into a slot that is too long?

You could fill in the end of the slot and then file it. But I wouldn't do it. You may not get a sharp edge to the slot. I would use a longer reed.

Next question: how do u adjust a reed that is too wide for it's slot?

This is trickier. IF the reed is not sitting in the slot perfectly because the rivet is not dead centered, you could shave the tight side of the reed. But, if the rivet looks centered, 'I' would adjust the SLOT ...instead. Reason? As I said yesterday, it took me TWO tries to get a reed to sound right. Sooo, If you were adjusting the reeds, each and every time the first reed ..or even the second didn't work for you, you woud have to start all over again and go through trimming another reed. Maybe even ANOTHER reed.

If I adjust at the SLOT, the slot is already ready and if a reed doesn't work the first or even second time, I have already removed that one step. I just try another reed.

smokey-joe

ron - FL Keys