Re: [Harp-L] New Richard Hunter RP250/350 patch set coming

This questions is interesting to me as well.

Using effects is not always a matter of perceibly altering the sound of the harmonica. Sometimes it can be just a subtle (or not-so-subtle) enhancement to make an instrument sound like it's still acoustic but, fuller, sweeter, etc.

Even in the realm of acoustic folk-based music, I've experimented with mild distortion and other "natural" or almost-natural sounding effects to enhance sound and create variety from one tune to the next.

This area of subtle enhancement of what the listener is likely to perceive as natural sound is one that I think is widely used and explored by musicians, but doesn't receive a lot of discussion or attention, except when two like-minded musicians talk one on one.

I'm not suggesting a sharp dividing line, either, between natural-sounding enhancement ("Gee, that harmonica sounds really nice") and obvious effects ("That's a HARMONICA???"). I think that there can be a spectrum that flows smoothly from one into the other. people tend to concentrate on the extremes and neglect all the fine - and worthwhile - gradations in between.

Winslow Yerxa