Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2009 (long)

What makes me want to come to SPAH is it's uniqueness, what I mean is it's
like no other convention. I think if it modeled itself after other ' big
time' conventions it would lose something. The way it is set up by the BOD
is conducive to the 'loose' agenda and deep camaraderie that this allows
for. IMO, you really don't need to know the exact minute to minute format
months before. Rather you can safely assume that SPAH will cover as many
bases concerning ALL facets of Style, Tips, Repair and Expertise...this is a
given SPAH is in the Harmonica BIZ and I have always gotten my Money's
worth.

The fact of the matter is that SPAH always listens to the critics and
changes are always welcome and usually made the following year. No hotel
layout is perfect, after all they weren't designed for 400 tin sandwich
maniacs suckin' & blowin' 24/7,-) I actually LOVED the LAKE in the middle
and having my room away for the noise when I need my rest! For me the layout
was scenic....always a trade off I guess when you want it all in one spot.

Room for improvement? Of course, that is a given...Convention needs are not
static but forever in motion and that is a good thing and keeps it
interesting, I hate 'predictable' events. The course of events like the
seminars, the talent shouldn't be decided on by any deadline, the world and
people's live don't work that way, things change schedule's overlap. But
rest assured SPAH will give you the best and most versatile LINE UP of PRO
talent and Educators and the Biz. If you need all your "T"s crossed and "I"s
dotted in advance then maybe SPAH isn't for you. I LIVE for the spontaneity
and flexible format.

I know when I arrive at SPAH, the able Staff will have my complete package
ready. There will be a format EZ to read card of ALL the daily activities
and times....YOU pick and choose what you like and believe me there is
plenty there to choose from. If it's not exactly what you thought when you
get to the class or the performance....just politely move on to the next
event room, the choice is always yours.

If you can't find the show or class you want or you just wanna socialize
with some of the best harpers on the planet, then stroll the hall and join
or start a hall jam.....you'll probably learn more harp in the hall than
anywhere in the world!

Or you may just wanna go to the Vendors area....every major Harp company
except Lee Oskar had reps and a booth and every customizor with harp related
items and gizmos were there....so your time is never wasted!

The Blues Circle is exactly that and is NOT for everybody ALL the time.
It is NOT just for Diatonic players either, I heard some amazing Chromatic
solos there. The beauty here is it's an ACOUSTIC session how often do Blues
Players get to 'let it rip' w/o a mic and amp? Thus we get a myriad of
diverse ideas accenting tone , dynamics and timbre. Watching and listening
each player in the large circle reminds us how different you can play 24
bars of Blues and we all walk out here some new licks and phrasing!

The Jazz Club is NOT for everybody ALL the time either, but it's nice to
know at the end of the day you can find a get together to Jam on the music
you love whether it be BLUES, JAZZ and the welcome addition of BLUEGRASS.

We have come a LONG way from Earl Collins starting this club and convention
in Michigan many moons ago in the 60's...Danny Wilson and the late Alex
Fogel banging out the newsletters and Danny getting it 'online' with our 1st
web site when computers forged unto our lives in the 80's.

Let's not take the thousands and thousand of hours that SPAH has spent to
build this institution for granted since it's inception. The criticism is
most welcome and that's how we learn and make it better.

I think many were skeptical about pulling off a SPAH in Sacramento this
year, they were proven wrong. My hats off to Tom Stryker, Paul Davies, JP
Pagan, Janie Rodack, Herb Eck, Eugene Hansen, Elizabeth Atkinson, LJ
Atkinson, Roger Bale, Bob Cohen, Danny Wilson, Winslow Yerxa Buzz Krantz and
Joe Filisko and ALL the SPAH VOLUNTEERS and ALL the COOTS that made this an
amazing event...BRAVO gang!

Huger thanx to all the corporate sponsors who also know the importance of
SPAH.

I only got in on THURSDAY but got to enjoy the playing of some of the
greatest players in the world. I wasn't scheduled to perform this year and
decided I would make my reservations when I heard Tommy Morgan would
headline. Turns out Suzuki asked me to demo their harmonicas for a 15 minute
slot so I did get to perform and last minute was asked to fill in a set at
the thurs nite blues show and Mark Hummel was a gentleman and let me use his
gear and his band! Thanx Mark....also thanx to Harmonica John for a superb
job with the sound.

On the last Night I was eating my cheesecake and just about to head out to
the bathroom wjen I heard Tom Stryker calling me up to the stage to accept
the Bernie Bray award for Harmonica Player of the Year.

Now I've stood before audiences as large as 8,000 at festivals but never was
the lump in my throat so huge as when I took that mic to accept the award.
An honor like that amongst your PEERS is not taken lightly, thank you SPAH.

Then I sat and listened to MY mentor Tommy Morgan, his set was the most
versatile and beautifully laid out set of impeccable playing and exquisite
and ROUND tone I've ever heard. John Lennon is the reason I picked up the
Harmonica in 1965, Tommy is the reason I decided I wanted to be a studio
musician when I was taking a degree in Sociology in 1974. In 1977 SPAH
allowed me to be PROUD to play the little instrument with a BIG & BEAUTIFUL
sound. Thanks again SPAH and the late Pres. Doug Tate and Pete Pederson who
shared many of my thoughts about bringing SPAH forward with respect for the
old and the new directions of the Harmonica.

Other Highlights for me were, Charlie Musselwhite who I met at a SPAH in the
80's and we've been friends ever since. He just keeps getting better is that
is possible! I really loved catching up with Chris M, Peloquin, Hunter,
Singer,Kalina, Spranklin, Sissi,Baker,Ruffo,Boblink,Ricci,Slim, The
Smiths,Bobby G,Fred S and meeting new acquaintances like Hummel,Erikson,
Christelle and so many I'm forgetting names of and new friends.....sorry

Miklas, Peterman and Phil C.....are the Harp Beats.....WOW....now that is a
TRIO!!!!!!!!!!! Nice work guys!!!

Stan Harper IS history on two feet, how blessed we were to have him there...

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi