Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2009

 A great way to focus is for SPAH BOD to attend a world class convention or affair and start to model or duplicate what they do. This is what we did in planning the conventions pre-TATE - modeled SPAH after those mammoth International Association of Jazz Education conventions, using their successes to our advantage. Worked great and no one had to reinvent the wheel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Hines <billhines4@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, Aug 19, 2009 4:47 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2009

I agree with Venky and Richard - I wasn't at SPAH this year but I was
last year in STL and had the same observations as Richard. Let's put the
jam issue aside, that's not going to change. But organizationally I was
pretty frustrated and disappointed in St Louis that it was hard to tell
what was where and what it was going to be about and how to find it. Not
knowing for sure what was going to be offered, I would have never gone
though if I wasn't already there for business.?
?

The organization would do well to supplement the staff at the hotel or
professional organizers (it can't be that much for the basics) to do a
little of that typical 'convention' stuff. This is not something for
'amateurs' in most cases although the clubs do an admirable job to pull
of something like this at all.?
?

also I had at times considered making some attempt to get the
Sacramento, but again not having a solid agenda ahead of time, no way. I
have the same problem with other festivals as well though. maybe the
folks who went there had the best time ever but some who just couldn't
make the leap without the proper information sure couldnt' have a good time!?
?

don't take those comments as criticisms, just suggestions for
improvement from the peanut gallery.?
?

Bill?
?