Re: [Harp-L] new recording of "Over the Rainbow"

On Apr 23, 2009, at 1:38 AM, Clayton Gary Lehmann wrote:

Diminished tuned chrom is the instrument for this, so that the bridge part
that is lemon drops and chimney tops comes out smooth--any other tuning is
not legato enough--
Unless you got your sMo Joe workin' . . .
Gary

I went in the garage and tried it in several keys. I would imagine that if you read, any key is possible. I ear played 6 keys with no problem. They were all equally easy (C, G, F, D, Eb, Bb), so I quit. I would imagine that even an average ear player should have no problem with 3 keys. So, I would write off the chromo as having any effort at all here.

Whereas diatonic seems to be really easy in 2nd pos on a SJ tuned harp (fjm advises MM also). Other positions might work but I didn't try them because...after all... 2nd pos on a SJ tuned worked in the first place, so why would I want to row UP Niagara Falls.

As for getting a workout and trying a tune that's a mouthful, 'Undecided Now' at a spirited tempo will
offer some hole 2 bend practice. I like to work on tunes that go 'bend to bend' (like 'T.D's Boogie). There's more challenge.

sMo-Joe, wasted away again in Pina Colada Burg