Re: [Harp-L] new recording of "Over the Rainbow"

On Apr 22, 2009, at 6:36 PM, Vern Smith wrote:

IMO, this is much better than any harmonica version of the same song on Youtube! I particularly liked the guitar accompaniment.

I would like to hear the artist play it on a chromatic to avoid his prominent struggle with the limitations of the diatonic.

Easy tune on an SJ tuned (now called country). Only the 2 step bend requires some effort.

The substitution of G for A at "There's a land" and the finessing of the F# and A at "away above the chimney tops" made me cringe.

Yes, a 1 step bend to flatten the 'already sharped' #4 draw requires some thought too, but that shouldn't be a problem. Then you go on to the sharped #4. Cringing depends on the amount of effort put in.

Joe Scungeli & the Calamari Brothers

Vern