Re: [Harp-L] music

On Apr 20, 2009, at 9:36 PM, Robert Bonfiglio wrote:

It's time for music to go somewhere else.

Yeah, like away from all the tired old, beat up old chestnuts that were already over played when my parents were pups.

It's not that the players aren't good at what they do; it's that we've heard it all before.

That's because people are caught in a time warp. Even the music teachers are out of their time zone. They start you off with the same old, tired old stuff. It's as if they feel they paid THEIR homage to the old material, so everyone else has to also. Like English Lit professors pushing Chaucer and the 'Cantilever Tales'. Or Byron, or, or, or.

We know where they are going before they get there. Everything is so bloody safe!

Yeah, I can dig it. My attitude is: "Thrill me". Some musicians actually still DO.

I am not saying I'm any different; classical music is in it's own rut.

Well, some of the classical music shouldn't be messed with. Just like 'Georgia' shouldn't be played on chromo.

But with harmonica, I hear the same things over and over, played very well, but is that enough?

I'm glad you said this. If someone of MY stature would have said it..and I have..I would get stoned.

You know the question - what kind of music do you play?

I try to play things a little different. I also feel that as a war baby (1942), the big band sound is before my time. Yes, I DO do it occasionally, but for God's sake, everyone needs to get off the Ellington, Basie, Miller, Goodman klepto. I mean, there's a lot of newer stuff out there. Play it, but play it differently than it's BEEN played. Quit being copy cats.

That goes for styles too. Quit imitating other people. I can listen to a dozen diatonic players and they more or less sound the same. Same goes for chromo players. People hear a tune a particular way and think thats the way it ALWAYS should be done. Wrong...music is just a guide.

Well, it's like the Stones, but has some Snoop dog plus Kenny G in there!!!

ALL of whom suck.....

We all sound like somebody. Is that okay?

No, it isn't. You can walk through a spah lobby and occassionaly you will hear someone who sticks out. That's a phrase I use when I'm checking in at the desk and happen to have my wife with me. I will say "There, hear that? That's a stick out". There's one at every gathering..but usually only one.

Gieuseppi Scungili & the Calamari Bros.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertobnfiglio.com