Da: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] Per conto
di Rick Davis
Inviato: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 7:10 PM
A: Ray Beltran
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx; icemanle@xxxxxxx
Oggetto: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Tone Gear Grail blah blah blah

It takes time to define that goal into workable terms.  New players can't
even hear what we do; The first time they pick up a harp they think "Where
are all those notes I heard that guy play?"

So, the goal usualy takes the form of aspiring to sound like another
player.  When I started 35 years ago I wanted to sound like Jimmy Fadden.
Within a couple of years he was replaced by Mark Wenner and then Paul
Butterfield.

After the player gains some profiency he can develop a goal that includes
steps and landmarks along the way.  But at first - for several years perhaps
- the best course is to just play.  If he wants to sound like Wenner or
Butter or Kim Wilson or Rick Estrin he should get a small tube amp and honk
on it all day long.  Even if at first he sounds like a "hack," which I think
is a very unkind way to describe a new player.