Re: [Harp-L] kudos and over-blowing - actually, blow bending

Tom -

It sounds like you're finding your way nicely on bending the blow notes in Holes 7, 8, 9, and 10.

However, these are not overblows.

Any time you take a note built into the harp and bending the pitch down, that's simply a bend. In HOles 1 thru 6 you have draw bends. In Holes 7 thru 10 you have blow bends.

Overblows (and overdraws) amke the note go up instead of down.

The holes where the draw notes bend down (1 thru 6) are the holes where you can get overblows.

The holes where the blow notes bend down (7 thru 10) are are where you can get overdraws.

When you play an overblow, you blow into Holes 1 through 6 (Hole 6 is a good one to start on), play like you're going to bend the draw note, but blow instead. The desired result is that a note comes out that is higher than the draw note  - higher than the highest note in the hole (in that sense it's "over" - it's over all the other notes in pitch).

Of course, when you first try an overblow, you may get other results, like the blow note bending down a tiny amount. Press a bit more and either you'll get the sound of air rushing or screeching noises. But as you find the right amount of pressure (not much) and tune your mouth to the note, you'll get a pure note.

Overdraws work the same way in reverse (at least in principle; the fine details are something you have to work out). The holes where the blow notes bend (7-10) are the ones where you can try playing a draw bend, only to get a note that's higher than the blow note in that hole (again, "over" the highest note in the hole).

For comprehensive information and exercises (with audio examples), you could get my book . . .

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa