[Harp-L] kudos and over-blowing

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone.

I know that one of the underlying purposes of this forum (other than for old
friends to insult one another) is to help educate.  Toward that end I can
give my personal testimony that it is working.  I've only been "listening
in" for a few weeks and have already learned a lot.  For example - putting
the harp deeper into your mouth.  I've been working on that and it opens up
a whole new dimension to playing.  Big improvement.

Also, over-blowing.  Prior to a few weeks ago, I never even knew it was
possible to blow bend the 7, 8 & 9 holes.  But I must say that the term
"over-blowing" is kinda misleading.  It gave me the impression that in order
to blow bend the higher notes that you had to blow HARDER.  Such is not the
case.  I have read many descriptions both online and in the books I have
purchased and it still was not clicking.  However, yesterday, through trial
and error, I figured out how to do it.  I have not seen what works for me
described anywhere else, so if you will allow me to do I would like to take
a stab at it.

Here's what works for me.  I place the tip of my tongue below my bottom
front teeth and then flatten and raise the middle of my tongue up to the
roof of my mouth.  What I find is that I get a feeling like the top of my
cheeks are puffing out just a little bit and filling with air.  The reeds
bends quite easily and as soon as I "catch the bend" I back off just a
little in order to hold the tone.  If I don't, the tone gets very screechy.
It's  a delicate operation and seems to defy the term "over-blow".  Does
this sound like what you are doing or am I heading down the wrong road?

Tom Halchak

Clearwater, FL 33763

Database version: 5.10790e
http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor/