Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: questions about high keyed harps

Now that's a topic worthy of further discussion, Gary.
I deliberately teach students tunes that have extended families.
Here's a good one:

When the Saints Go Marching In
Thirty Days
Mama don't allow
This train am bound for glory
I'll be glad when you're dead you rascal you
She'll be comin' round the mountain
Crawdad hole
My Babe
Caroline (Tell me where you sleep last night)
....and you can find plenty more that fit that category.

Maybe some suggestions of other 'family group' songs?

RD

>>> Gary Popenoe <gpopenoe@xxxxxxxxx> 18/09/2008 21:13 >>>
You know, there is a pattern language of western contemporary songs.
It always seems to me that, if you learn one song, you've learned most
of several others.

It is to the point where I, and I'm sure others, can play along wth
tunes we have never heard and appear to the listener as if we know the
song.

I was once was in Fiji and had an opportunity to jump in on a tune
with some local players. I had never heard the song but felt I could
handle it. I failed. Soon the guys were calling the changes to me.

Their standard progression changes/song structure are different  than
western popular music. I couldn't anticipate where their songs were
going to  go.

Sent from my iPhone