[Harp-L] Combs!

If you don't think comb material makes a difference in the sound of a harmonica, I have a couple of experiments for you to try out:

Take a 1/4" thick piece of foam core board and make a comb out of it. Add reed plates & covers and play. Can you hear a difference now? How about rubber?

Some materials reflect sound, some absorb it. An unsealed pearwood comb absorbs some frequencies that a sealed pearwood comb reflects and amplifies. That is my experience, what my ears tell me. I also hear differences between brass, aluminum, and other materials. Sure, you could mess me up if I had to listen to someone else play the harps while I was bilndfolded, but there is a difference between how I play and what I hear through bone conduction, etc.

If we really want to settle this once and for all, there are devices that can measure sound and quantify it much better than most humans. That would be much more scientific.

I was not at the comb trials that have been referenced, but at best they were empirical science. Not definitive proof. If someone recorded samples and produced voiceprints or some other spectrum anaylisis visuals; and they came up identical for different materials, I would be willing to believe that my ears are fooling me when I hear differences in comb material.

I know what Steve Baker is talking about. Thank you Steve, for taking the time to express your points so well. You saved me a lot of time and effort!

shop address:
205 E. Pine Street
Philipsburg PA 16866-1623

814 342 9722 (w)