Re: [Harp-L] clean and dirty, yin and yang

To answer the diredt question, yes, I do bring both an amp set-up and
an acoustic set-up to our gigs.  We play half old-time country,
bluegrassy type songs and half rock and blues.  I think it's good
that the audience (and the rest of us for that matter) get to hear
the different harp sounds in the course of the evening.  I can't
agree however that "every performing harp player should....." It
depends on the situation.
--jk

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, David Fertig <drfertig@...>
wrote:

the recent rehashing of the hackneyed topic of tone sparks a query:

How many of you take, along with your mics, amps and gadgets, an
acoustic set up, at least a good acoustic-style ("clean") mic and
cord for the PA?

I find it helpful to have the variety of a clean sound, after all
that crunching and distortion, so I always bring my beta57 and cords
(xlr-xlr, & xlr-1/4". I should get a vol pot on my mic.)

At least one song in an evening, I'l play clean, maybe use a PA mic
already set up.

Also, one can usually set one's amp (and bypass gadgets, except the
AFB+!) to give a pretty clean acoustic-style tone in case the PA
ain't available, or the sound-board jockey is like most and prefers
to bury the harp in the mix AND monitor.

Shouldn't every performing harp player have their gear set-up to play
clean AND dirty?

Variety is the spice of life, Music is the rice of life!

-Dave Fertig