Re: [Harp-L] Brass vs Stainless Steel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe and Cass Leone" <leone@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Vern Smith" <jevern@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 5:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Brass vs Stainless Steel

Not in the least trying to be argumentative here Vern and all you other fellows, and believe you me, I have no reason to doubt your combined expertise on these matters...TODAY. But something has been bothering me over the years. In fact several things. One of which is:

Do you think the people/person/entity ? who originally came up with the harmonica considered ANY of these things?
Me? 'I' think they looked at music boxes and trialed and errored until they came up with a workable prototype. MY suspicion is that they copied the Chinese.

Knowing some theory for designing a machine is like having a map for making a trip. You may eventually get to your destination by trial-and-error journeying around but with gas over $4 per gallon, you may prefer to find the most direct route on your map.

Another is: Does ANYONE think that this business about tuning was really as involved as everyone is making it out to BE?. Me? 'I' think that they originally tuned the same way an organ is tuned. What's THAT tuning? I don't know.

About 130 years ago, Hermann Helmholtz devoted a whole chapter (60 pages of fine print) of his book on musical acoustics, "On the Sensations of Tone" to temperaments. He doesn't even mention a harmonica.

> I feel like the proverbial neanderthal Geico caveman sitting here on
my lanai with my sabre toothed kitty, sipping on a Mojito. I mean, you guys are SO far over the rainbow in advanced thinking, I feel like an absolute dunce.

You bring a different but valuable point of view to the forum. If we all knew the same things, we wouldn't have anything to discuss.

................I mean, I like explanations as well as the next guy, but some of this stuff is way deep and (frankly) over my head.

I suspect that it is lack of interest more than lack of ability to understand. I once quizzed a failing high school student about a motorcycle that quickly passed through an intersection two blocks away. He knew the make, model, engine displacement, drive train details, etc. because motorcycles interested him and his schoolwork did not.

In fact, I have procedures that still haven't been revealed.

IF they are not making you rich, this is the place and now is the time! ;o

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com