Re: [Harp-L] Beginner with harmonica quality problems!

I respectfully completely and emphatically disagree!!

Harmonica players are among the poorest (I'm not talking$$$) on the
planet. In fact they might be one step below a bongo player on the
street.  I attribute the lack of musicianship to players not taking
the instrument seriously and not have professional level instruments
off the shelf.

I don't say buy a custom harp because I happen to be in the business
of making harps, look in the archives and you'll see that I've been
saying get a custom harp since about 1994-95.  Most of my playing
ability regardless of whether or not you like me style, comes from
having a properly set up harp from the get go.  Having a custom harp
is not synonymous with playing jazz or otherwise technical music. If I
had chosen to be a blues player, I would have embarked on a path to
become one of the best in that venue. Having a custom harps has helped
me immensely.

How did I get into them?  When I got serious about playing the
harmonica, in 1988 I had a Hohner 270 with a broken button. That's
when I met Dick Gardner.  He set up the chromatic to play perfectly
and then showed me how to do it with my diatonics.  After having a
well set up harp, I instantly became a better player.  Things were
easier to play and I was much less frustrated.

There's a lot to be said about hard work and dedication but at least
start with the right tool. If you have to shovel snow, you could get
it done with a garden shovel but what do that when you can use a snow
shovel?

EVERY model harmonica needs work when it's played directly out of the
box.  Heck you could spend $200 on a Suzuki Fabulous harp which
actually plays quite well out of the box but nowhere near as well as a
custom harp and most custom harps cost far less than the Fabulous
harp.

 Anybody know anything about Dog Training?  Some of you know this but
away from the harmonica, I train personal protection dogs.  The old
school way of training was to beat the dog into submission. If he
didn't do want you wanted then you'd yank and crank on his collar or
mush his head into the ground.  Now the way to train a protection dog
is to make everything positive. Everything is reward based, fun and
happy.

Give yourself a step up in the process and start out with a good
instrument. The difficulty in playing music shouldn't begin with
beating it out of your instrument.