re: [Harp-L] Beginner with harmonica quality problems!

Every harmonica out of the box is going to have one issue or another.
Yes some brands are much better than others but for the most part
every machine made harmonica will have an issue.  Good technique helps
with many of these issues but what to do if you're a rank beginner?

You can go to the various website that talk about harp set up and try
that but if you're a beginner that may not be so interesting when you
just want to play the damn thing.  I suggest taking a lesson from a
teacher that knows the basics of setting up a harp.  The first lesson
I give to students is harp set up and they leave my studio with a
mostly "custom" harmonica and the ability to play all notes regardless
of what style they want to play.

A word on technique, everything you need to know about generating a
note on the harmonica with good tone can be learned from sucking or
blowing on a straw.  Put a straw in your mouth and blow or suck.  Now
move the free end of the straw while blowing or sucking up or down or
sideways...BUT be sure not to let yourself constrict the airflow.
Playing harmonica is about controlling the air flow and allowing it to
resonate in your mouth.  The straw technique will can teach you to
bend and Overblow in minutes.  With the exception of Bob Cohen, I've
had rank beginners Overblow in about 40 seconds.

Having a well set up instrument from the beginning is one of the most
important things to playing music.  If you can't set one up yourself,
or can't find a teacher then it would be money well spent to buy a
custom harp...   Having a pro-level instrument applies to more than
just harmonica.  For example, when I started playing guitar, I didn't
buy a $200 student model. I bought a $3000 Martin. I'm not a guitar
player by the stretch of anyone imagination BUT having a guitar like
that got me much further along and faster than I would have with El
Cheapo Guitaro.  There is so much more life and depth to a nice
instrument.

For customizers, I recommend Jimmy Gordon, Richard Sleigh, Brad
Harrison and Joe Spiers. If you don't want to wait in their lines, I
also build harps and I am currently offering a free online lesson with
a purchase. (contact me offlist for details).

***
Ryan writes:

Hello,
I am pretty much a beginner. I messed around a little years ago, so I
know how to bend draw notes and that's about it. Anyhow, I've decided
that I would really like to give it a real go this time. I went out
and purchased myself a few Special 20' s in different keys to start
out on. It seems that all 3 harps I purchased have some "issues" right
out of the box. I tried my hand at gapping one of them (following
videos on YouTube), and now It's even worse! I know I am just a
beginner, but I also know when something doesn't feel right with the
harp. Do you think I should buy a DVD and learn how to set up a harp?
Buy a custom harp (or maybe a Marine Band Deluxe)? Or just deal with
what I get out of the box until I have progressed? On a side note...
every harp player I dig, plays Marine Bands. I got myself Special 20's
to learn on, but know that I'll probably end up switching to the MB
down the road. In knowing this, should I just start out playing the
MB?

Does anyone play "out of the box" harps anymore?

Thanks,
-Ryan